Other Stuffage

Monday, December 26, 2011

Mock-Kariza Tutorial

Merry Christmas!  I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas day.  I got to give my cousin the Kariza I made for her.  She LOVED it and started experimenting right away with different ways to wear it.


For those of you who don't know what a Kariza is, it is a multi-wear dress/skirt. They are very popular in Hawaii and resorty places.  You can wear the same dress over 100 different ways.  Pretty cool!


I still have to make mine, but I'll show you how we made my sister's and my cousin's.  I can't wait to get mine done and wear it in the Caymans!  


We learned a few things while making these. 
1. Use a serger or rolled hem foot rather than spending a couple hours pressing under tiny rolled hems on slippery fabric.
2. Make sure you calculate the amount of fabric you need correctly.
The first time.
I won't mention any names........................


MOM!!!!


That is why the skirt that is shown here is different than the fabric I posted earlier this week...


We got the idea from here, but we will expound upon it a bit.


Make Your Own Kariza/Wrap Skirt


Supplies:
2 Contrasting Fabrics (lightweight and flowy: silk, silky polyester)
3 yards of 1" double fold bias tape (opt)
matching thread
serger or a rolled hem foot (big time saver!)


Figuring out your fabric dimensions:
1. Determine the Circumference you need.  Measure around the widest part of the chest, then overlap it by half.  For example, my chest measured 32", so I add half of that (16"): 32"+16"=48".  Now double that number: 48"x2=96".  The Circumference=96".


2. Figure out the Radius:  Time for a little Math Application!
    Circumference=3.14 x 2Radius
    96=3.14 x 2R
    96/3.14=2R
    31"=2R
    15.5"=R


3.  Short Kariza = 14" (top fabric) and 17"(bottom fabric) long (Audrey's)
     Medium Kariza =25" and 28" long (mine)
     Long Kariza = 33" and 36" long (Secret Santa)


4.  Decide what length you want.  Then add the length measurement (plus 1" for hem/seam) to the Radius measurement and DOUBLE that (that's the part Mom forgot...).  That is how much fabric you will need to purchase.  
For mine: 
28" + 1" + 15.5" = 44.5"
44.5" x 2 = 89" aka 2.5 yards


I needed 2.5 yards of EACH fabric, plus a little extra of the top fabric for the band (or use bias tape instead).


5. Wash and dry fabric!


6. Fold the fabric in half and mark the radius using a measuring tape at several points from the top corner (15.5" for mine).













7. Repeat using the measurement of the radius + the length desired, adding 1" for hem and seam allowance (25 + 1 + 15.5 = 41.5" for the top fabric and 44.5" for the bottom fabric).  Connect the dots to form an arc and cut through both layers of each fabric.



8. Narrowly hem or serge the sides and bottoms of each skirt.  

9.  Line up the top arcs of the two skirts; pin and baste together.



10. Pin the bias tape in place, lining up the middle of the bias with the middle of the skirt.  
Sew in place. 
OR
Make a 3-yard-long bias strip 3 inches wide from your top fabric.  Serge/Zig-zag the edges. 


Press the edges to the WRONG side of the fabric.


 Press the strip in half lengthwise.  


Line up the middle of the strip with the middle of the skirt; pin together and sew it on.  Make sure you catch both sides of the strip or you'll wind up doing some hand-sewing.



11.  Find the middle of the skirt band and sew a buttonhole there, going from the top of the band to bottom of the band.  Then measure 3 inches over from that hole (doesn't matter which way) and sew another buttonhole.  Rip out the centers of the buttonholes.


YOU'RE DONE!!!!
Google how to wear a Kariza or Magic Wrap Skirt for ideas on how to wear it.  Experiment with your own as well.  









Have fun and enjoy wearing it!!!


What was your favorite present you GAVE for Christmas?
Mine was definitely the Kariza!

10 comments:

  1. Truly an inspirational gift. Your cousin loved it too. I love the idea, it would work soo well at a resort too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I love the fabric choices. I saw these when I was in Florida a few years ago. I loved them, but didn't want to pay the hefty price for one. I had no idea you could make your own...now to find some time... As for your question, my favorite gift I gave was a cheshire cat grin shirt for my niece, she loved it and that made it fun to give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Mom/Heidi
    That was a WAY cute one

    @ Allie
    Yes it would and they are AWESOME and easy to wear.

    @ Diane
    Thanks!
    And I miss you sooooooooo much!!!

    @ The Hadfield Family
    I LOVE Cheshire Cat!
    But I think I like Marsh Hare and the Mad Hatter more.
    And I really like the fabric too... But I like mine more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt! So cute! the Kayman Islands - wow what a vacation!
    My favorite gifts I gave.
    Max "gave" Will ZELDA
    We gave my dad and brother calendars made in shutterfly of all family pictures (mostly of Max)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I did love it - so stinkin' much! Thanks again Alli! Have fun in the Cayman's
    -Bekah

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ William and Tiffany Strong
    NICE!!!

    @ Bekah
    I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In step 6, where exactly is the "top corner?
    And can you explain step 7 with a little bit more detail?
    I had a little trouble understanding that part.
    Thank you so much!
    Your tutorial is the only good one I could find online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I'll ask my mom (since she was pretty much the mastermind behind the whole thing) and hopefully we'll be able to fix it. Though, what was causing you trouble with step 7?
      I'm glad you like it though :D

      Delete